Class action lawsuits are typically considered the most effective method of litigating cases where a large number of individuals’ claims arise from the same set of facts and circumstances. Rather than each claimant litigating his or her own case, the entire group of claimants pursue a lawsuit as one whole group. This helps hasten the litigation of the group’s claims and effectively moves cases closer to conclusion sooner rather than later.
In New York, there are several prerequisites to initiating a class action law suit. They are as follows:
- The proposed class is so large that joinder or all members would be impracticable;
- There are questions of law and fact common to the entire class which predominate over questions affecting only individual members;
- The claims or defenses of the representative parties are similar to those of the class;
- The representative parties will fairly and adequately protect the interests of the class as a whole; and
- A class action lawsuit is the most effective method of litigating the case.
If you or someone you know has fallen victim to a large-scale civil wrong in New York or New Jersey, it is imperative that you contact a seasoned attorney to help protect your rights. Our attorneys can offer you free legal consultation to determine whether you have a meritorious cause of action and whether you are eligible to join in a class action lawsuit.